You know the old saying that the last project a contractor will do is his/her own house? Well, in terms of revamping my site, I couldn’t have put it off much longer than I did.
Although I really loved my old site, I began to realize, from a marketing point of view, it was somewhat confusing. I mean, where do you click first? What speaks to you as a visitor?
So, in trying to find my niche, i.e. where my work really shines, I had to think long and hard about many things:
1. Who do I want to appeal to?
2. What would those people want to see?
3. How can I be crystal clear about my offerings?
As simple as the answers to these might seem, they actually take a lot of work and sorting out. To help me out, I relied on several sources:
1. Seth Godin’s online course entitled “Seth Godin’s Freelancer Course”
2. A pre-release version of a book by Mike McDerment, co-founder & CEO of FreshBooks, entitled “Crack the Client Code”
3. A free 30 minute consultation with Ilise Benun, owner of Marketing Mentor. Ilise even blogged about the site in its development stages over here.
I’m finding the process is still a journey, but I’ve learned to be more focused in my efforts. Whatever I do, I should keep my eye on the prize, as they say.
What do you think? Would welcome any thoughts you have on the new design…